Counterfeit 1856 Flying Eagle Cent
Click for larger high resolution image (767K)
- Composition: Copper(?)
- Weight: 5.13g.
- Diameter: 19mm
- Origin: Likely China or elsewhere in Asia. Available from sellers on eBay. Received in change at hardware store by Ryan B.
- Method of Manufacture: False Dies
- Composition and color are wrong for the issue.
- Coin weight is above tolerance. A genuine specimen would weigh 4.67g.
- Detail is slightly mushy and flat for the amount of wear the coin shows
- Numeral 6 in date is awkward.
- Similar examples seen offered online with REPLICA or COPY stamped on them.
- Coin is approximately 33% thicker than a genuine specimen.
Comments and additional information are welcome. Contact us below.