Counterfeit Commodus Denarii
Click for larger high resolution image
- Obverse: Head r., wearing Lion's skin (as Hercules)
- Reverse: Club at center; HERCVL / ROMAN / AVGV
- Catalog: RIC 251
- Composition: Silver
- Weight: varies
- Diameter: 18mm
- Origin: Uncertain
- Method of Manufacture: Cast (pressure cast?) using genuine coin to make the mold.
- Mushy detail.
- Flan shape exactly the same for all examples.
- No visible flow lines or any other evidence of being struck.
- Marks and pits occur in exactly the same spot on all examples, though they may be bolder or fainter on various examples.
Comments and additional information are welcome. Contact us below.