Counterfeit 1796 Draped Bust United States Silver Dollar
Click for larger high resolution image (812K)
- Composition: Silver
- Weight: 26.9g.
- Diameter: Uncertain
- Origin: Likely China or elsewhere in Asia
- Method of Manufacture: Transfer Die(?)
- Coin does not match any known obverse or reverse dies for 1796 Silver Dollars
- Perfectly round, as though struck in collar
- Artificial toning
- Detail is slightly mushy and flat for the amount of wear the coin shows
- With exception of the '6' in the date, dies are a match for 1795 Small Eagle Dollar, Bolender # B14
- Lustre is slightly PL and not quite correct for the issue
- Edge lettering was doubled (included for possible diagnostic purposes. Doubled edge lettering can appear on genuine coins.)
- Similar examples seen offered online in counterfeit NGC slabs
- Lower quality replicas made from same dies or molds: Click here for image.
- Coin may be overstruck on earlier counterfeit
Comments and additional information are welcome. Contact us below.
Contact Us |